Tuesday, October 24, 2006

38 - the new 28. Oh I wish!

Well, the birthday day has come and gone. I am hopeful that 38 is going to be better than 37 was. So far October has been great, with just a few bumps in the road. Saddest has been the loss of Alan's grandfather last Thursday. Most irritating to deal with has been the lack of heat in our little rental house. Most enjoyable has been football season. Most encouraging is the walking program we are doing at work.

Alan's granddaddy was awesome. Back in 1971 he married my brother and sister-in-law. At age 2 my memorable contribution to the ceremony was SCREAMING to be up there with my daddy. Granddaddy should have marked me off the list of potential in-laws then. But thankfully in 1992 he told Alan I was a keeper, and Alan has been keeping me ever since. I also scanned ahead when considering the proposal and examined Alan's potential to turn into his father and later his grandfather, and I decided that genetic path was good with me, so I accepted. I can only hope Alan will be as devoted to me as Byron was to Ruth. And as devoted as Verner is to Joyce.

Alan's mom has had a rough road this year with her health, but it appears today's successful outpatient kidney stone procedure is the last of it. Hopefully she is on the road to full recovery now.

Please pray that the local natural gas people will get the new heat system that's been installed in our house hooked up before I freeze to death. As much as I hate to be cold, this is a real challenge for me. I'm huddled around the space heater and carry it from room to room with me. Oh and I'm dressed in 3 layers plus a hat - in my own house!

The Clemson game Saturday night was awesome. Homecoming at its best. Terrific atmosphere. I'm just really disappointed that GameDay chose to move on down the road for its second visit to Columbia this season. If the Vols can't put it on the chickens this weekend, I will turn on Philip Fulmer for sure. Oh, and I dressed for the cold last Saturday night and survived pretty well.

Week 2 of the walking program at work seems to be going well, despite the downturn in temps. Folks are participating, wearing pedometers and recording those steps daily. Small groups are walking around lunch time. We are having a pretty good week at work, I think.

Still, work is madness. Time changes this weekend and it will be dark before I get out of the office. Urgh.

I titled this post "the new 28" because Alan bought a purple Clemson pullover Saturday and said purple was "the new orange." He's probably right; something new to sell us. Just feeding the greed. Still, I can hardly believe how far back 28 is. I can remember those days, and there have been a lot since, but a whole decade? How can that be? Time flies, whether you are having fun or not. Whatever I'm going to do before 40, I'd better get started on.

No comments:

Post a Comment