Sunday, January 28, 2007

Opera

Sometimes in January I pick a theme and do a little self-study of a topic I'm interested in. Around Christmas I read about Physics - a topic I had a poor education in and do not have any natural aptitude for, but one I've been frustrated by my ignorance of. (I know there are lots of preposition problems in that sentence) I enjoyed Understanding Einstein and Physics for Dummies.

So in January I went to the library and checked out Opera for Dummies (with a CD) and the NPR Curious Listener's Guide to Classical Music. I have had a little education and exposure to this topic and enjoyed reading about it this month.

And today I went to see the Converse College Opera Theatre production of Die Fledermaus (The Bat or Flying Mouse, originally in French, by Johann Strauss Jr). It was three hours long (well worth the price of admission) and I went an hour early to catch the Opera Talk by a Converse professor, explaining what I needed to notice about the plot and music. Mercifully, the production was in English. The vocalists and orchestra did a great job. The sets and costumes were well done too. I just wish I had eaten more. By the end of the second Act, I was starving. A lawyer I practice in family court is a baritone with a PhD in music, and he played one of the main characters today.

Can't say I'm going to be a big opera fan, but I've enjoyed learning. Alan and I listened to the CD on the way to church this morning, and I read aloud the notes in the book, describing by the second counter what to listen for in the music and explaining the plot, scene and translating the words. I liked learning that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment