"It's the most wonderful time of the year."
I know. You think that is a Christmas song. And now some sports radio shows are using that song to describe the beginning of football season. They are correct, but incomplete.
Summer heat came roaring in before Memorial Day, but slunk away like a dog with its tail between its legs and right on time, Labor Day weekend. Ever since, we have had glorious fall weather. Bright sunshine, blue skies, puffy white clouds, cool morning temps, afternoon highs usually in the 80s (some days a little higher, others, lower). It is a PLEASURE to be outside right now.
Last weekend Alan built me a rainbarrel. We only got about 1/4 inch of rain out of the last tropical storm, but it was enough to fill my 55 gallon barrel. The pond is low and the officials say we are in a moderate drought and it's going to be a dry fall, but for now I am well-stocked. Put in my fall garden (only seeds) this week - tiny pumpkins, lettuces, spinach, carrots & radishes. Okra still producing. Happy Happy.
So, football. High school football is on! We haven't been to a game yet, but are following the local teams closely. College football - well, I'm proceeding cautiously. The four super conferences are looming, and I'm not happy about that. It wasn't long ago that I could name all the schools who played football in the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and the basketball schools of the Big East (I guess they play football too). Well, I can delete that useless knowledge and get that brain space ready for something new. I've even been mildly interested in pro football this year.
I don't like to think about what we pay for DirecTV, but the last few weeks I have been very appreciative of the coverage of the Tour of Utah, USA Pro Cycling Challenge and Vuelta a Espana. Have seen lots of great scenery and cycling strategy and skill.
Happy Days!
Saturday, September 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment