Saturday I went to a local farm and spent $2 for a pint of dirt & worms. I am feeding them my kitchen scraps to make castings for my garden. A person should not be as excited about this as I am.
I cleaned out the pantry and made space on the floor for the box I'm using for my worm bed. You should have SEEN Alan's face when he asked "where are the worms?" and I replied, "In the pantry."
My sister told me a story about my grandmother keeping a worm bed, but hers were for fishing, not recycling. Although I'm sure she probably recycled food scraps too, my grandmother loved to fish. Vikki says "Big Mama," as she called our grandmother, would send her to the worm bed to dig up some plump ones whenever they were going fishing.
Now all I need is a compost tumbler.
I'm using 2-3 gallons of water from the rain barrel almost every day. It's awesome! Wish I had had this to water with during the August drought.
Alan's dad sent us food for the week from his garden. We are feasting on three HUGE sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, fresh okra, peppers, and homemade pickles. There's a promise of peanuts. Oh, and he sent me dried sunflowers to seed for us, the birds, and planting. :)
Monday, September 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment