Thursday, December 20, 2012

Life is good

I know.  5 months with no posts and now 2 so close together.

Without a doubt 2012 will go down in our history as the hardest year ever.  Yet, as we got into Thanksgiving season and now Christmas, I started to think about how great this year has been.  Alan lost weight and got healthy.  Then he struggled with a sore knee (torn meniscus) and finally had it scoped/repaired in November. My health has been good this year, overall.  Swim class three times a week keeps me going.  Oh, except for the migraines.  Those started in the spring and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Of course losing Alan's sister in January threw us for a loop and then his mom getting sick in June prolonged the recovery.  But we are getting started in his family establishing a new normal.  His mom is on dialysis 3 days a week but is doing really well with that.  A new diet and schedule have been a HUGE adjustment for her and dad, but they are pulling together, not apart.  Hannah is in college here in Greenwood and we see her a couple times a month.  These holidays are going to be tough, but I think we will get through if we give ourselves a break.

My family has adjusted fairly well to Mama passing from this world.  Strangely, losing the house might have been the toughest part.  I've only driven by there once since July.  We were tossed another zinger in September when Gabe died.  It sounds remote that the loss of my sister-in-law's sister's son would affect us so terribly.  Worst migraine ever the day of his funeral.  So young, so bright and energetic.  Too soon to leave.

My professional life changed dramatically in late September and October, when I gave up the legal life.  November 1 I became Director of Community Partnerships at the new Greenwood County Community Foundation.

The greatest blessing, among many, in our life this year has been our small group.  Alan and I have invested time and energy in these young women.  It has made us feel old to mentor them, but also grown up and important.  Here we are November 8th (the day of Alan's knee surgery) at Vision Night at NewSpring in Greenwood.  Yes, the other tremendous blessing we are wrapping up this year of travail with is the opening, last Sunday, of our church.  Campus #8 is only 10 minutes from our house.  1526 people came the first Sunday.  Truly the BEST is yet to come.

I"m ready for 2013 to be a "settled down" year for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment