Wednesday, December 05, 2012

What a year it has been

December 5, 2011 my mom visited me in Greenwood to attend a performance of my handbell group at Wesley Commons retirement community. Today, one year later, I was back at Wesley Commons for the bell concert.  This time I wasn't playing.  And my mom was not with me.  She made the vests for my group years ago and they still look great.

I thought today might be hard.  And several people did ask me about my mom today.  But it wasn't sad.  It is so easy to celebrate my mom's life, how much fun we had together even on this day last year.

In the picture at right, Mama is showing off some of her silly socks.  She loved silly socks.  She is with my niece Emily, who married in August and is expecting a baby next June.  Life moves on.  I guess because Mama was so ready to go, I was more ready to let her go.  Sure, I wish we had more fun days together, but I am so thankful for the days we did have and how it all went down on her way out, that I am not really sad.

Everyone loses their mom, but not every one has a great mom or a terrific relationship with their mom.  Sure, I've got lots of regrets, but those are primarily from long ago.

My mom was an amazing person and I hope I grow up to be like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment