Monday, February 21, 2011

A re-post of wisdom from Nancy

Prayer is about conversation with God and aligning yourself with God's purposes; He knows the outcome and we don't. Maybe, if we were really listening to God's voice on a more intimate level, as suggested in Walking with God, we would know whether we should pray for healing or not because God would tell us.

We have more stories than I am going to cite but we have these in the Old Testament, (2 Kings 20:1-8, Numbers 12:10-14 ) as well as in the New Testament (Mark 9:25-39, James 5:13-16) about people praying for healing. I don't know how prayer works or why sometimes it seems to and other times it seems not to when we pray for healing. All of that is tied up in God's sovereignty. I do know that knowing people are praying does bring comfort and peace to those who are suffering and to those watching them suffer. In Revelation 21:4, John is telling us of the New Jerusalem which will be God's permanent home with man on earth but I believe that heaven is like that for those who are awaiting the end of human time there so I believe healing comes to all believers when they die.

Although they are not about healing, Paul is constantly telling us he always prays for the churches (usually in the first 4 verses of his letters), that we should pray without ceasing (the whole passage says rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.) And then Jesus told a parable about praying and never giving up. And of course Jesus prayed - a lot.

Prayers are a fragrant incense before God. I don't know if it's in the Bible but I have read that our prayers remain forever before God (they become part of eternity) when they reach the throne of God. That may be based on this passage or this one. If God keeps our tears and writes them in His book, surely He would keep our prayers.

Because prayer is important and should be a vital part of our relationship with God, prayers for healing should be offered even if we don't understand why or how it works. I hope these passages help you some.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment